Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Three Sales Men and the Distance They must Travel (A Poem)

My past came knocking last week
I admit, I thought of opening the door
Then I remembered
I am dead!
I am dead to my past
I am alive to Christ!
God is the distance between my past and I



Guilt kept hammering on my door
Insisting that I open
He just wanted to remind me
“Of something I might be forgetting”
I thought, “Oh well, I’ll just entertain him a while!”
I was prevented by Calvary’s Cross
Jesus is the distance between guilt and I



Shame was the most persistent of all three visitors
He had witnesses and facts, he claimed
Justice, alleged he, and the law would have it no other way
I deserved to be put death, he pointed out
I opened the door and smiled at him
“I am dead already and the price paid in full”, I said straight from the shoulder
“And one last thing before you go”, I asserted
Mercy is the distance between you and I



With stunned faces they left, completely disheartened
I heard them arguing among themselves
“We cannot litigate her”, shame cried, “it’s out of the question”
“Why not?” asked guilt
Nothing pleased my listening ears the most
Than to hear my past admit
“God’s grace is the new law applied in this court
And His love is an impossible distance to travel!”




Written by Abasiama Ette
Started on the 23rd of Jan 2010 and completed on the 18th of Feb 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment